Gifts in Wills
Writing a will ensures that the people and causes that mean the most to you are looked after. It is your way of leaving a legacy and passing on your values for the future. You can write a will at any age and you can update it as required over time. We understand that you will want to make sure your friends and family are taken care of first, once you have done that you may want to consider leaving a gift in your will to Charlie House. Leaving a small gift will make a huge difference to the future of our work and help us to continue to support babies, children and young people with life-limiting conditions and complex disabilities, and their families, in the North-east of Scotland.
Types of gifts
There are different types of gifts that you might want to leave in your will.
A specific sum: A gift of a fixed sum of money. The value of a fixed sum gift will decrease over time as the cost of living increases. This is known as a pecuniary legacy.
A share of your estate: A gift of the residue (or a share of the residue) of an estate. Residue is whatever is left after all debts, expenses and any other legacies have been deducted. This is known as a residuary legacy
Many people prefer to leave a residuary gift because it will remain in line with inflation and does not lose its value over time.
A specific item: A gift of a particular named item, for example, a piece of jewellery, furniture, a painting, buildings, land or shares.
We recommend speaking to your solicitor, or other legal advisor, about the type of gift you might like to leave to Charlie House.
Leaving a gift to Charlie House in your will may reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax paid as the value of your gift is deducted from your total estate before the amount of tax payable is applied. Gifts to charities are 100% tax-free.
Please speak to your solicitor or contact HMRC for the most up to date advice and information about Inheritance Tax.
Our promise to you
- We understand that your family and friends will always come first and any gift you chose to leave for Charlie House will be appreciated
- We will never ask you tell us if you have left a gift in your will as we understand it’s personal to you, however, we would love to have the opportunity to thank you
- We will never pressure you to leave a gift to Charlie House, you can make that decision in your own time. We’re here to provide more information, but only if you wish
- You can change your mind at any time, we will never ask you why
- We will use your gift carefully to ensure it benefits the children and families we support as much as possible
- If you chose to tell us about your gift, we will handle that information with discretion and sensitivity and will never pass the information on to anyone else
If you have any questions about Charlie House, would like to request more information about leaving a gift in your will, please call 01224 313333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a digital copy of our Gifts in Wills brochure here. Alternatively, please use the above details to request a copy of the brochure which can be posted to you.
We appreciate that your will is personal and private to you and we understand if you would rather not share the details with us. However, if you have left a gift to Charlie House, we would love the opportunity to say thank you if you are happy to share that information.